At Sri Eye Care, all your eye-related problems are resolved in a patient-centric ecosystem. Our team of experienced doctors and support staff is always available to ensure that you receive proper care during and after your eye procedure. We use the latest medical technology to provide you with the best care possible for the following eye procedures:
What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a chronic neurodegenerative disease of the optic nerve, characterized by progressive visual field deterioration, which ultimately results in irreversible blindness. It is most commonly associated with high intraocular pressure, which is pressure inside the eye. Glaucoma can occur even without a raised intraocular pressure. In most cases, the progression of glaucoma is slow and usually does not cause any symptoms until the end-stage.
What are the symptoms of glaucoma?
Primary open-angle glaucoma
What are the risk factors associated with glaucoma?
Precise causes of glaucoma are unknown. However, there are certain risk factors associated with the disease.
- Old age
- Certain ethnic backgrounds such as East Asians, African Americans, and Hispanics have a higher risk of developing glaucoma
- Individuals with a family history of glaucoma, concurrent diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and migraine
- Eye injuries
- Eye surgery
- High myopia (nearsightedness) and high hypermetropia
- Illnesses and conditions such as diabetes or hypothyroidism
How is glaucoma treated?
- Treatment modalities range from eye medications to laser treatment and surgery –– all of which aim at maintaining eye pressure at near-normal levels
- If medicines don’t work, then surgical procedures such as filtering surgery and drainage implants may be used to bring down the pressure inside the eye
- Strict compliance with medications prescribed by the doctor is also necessary
- Acute angle glaucoma is treated as a medical emergency and pressure-reducing medications are administered immediately to the patient followed by a laser procedure
- Glaucoma needs regular follow up throughout the life of the patient in order to maintain the intraocular pressure and assessment of the functional status of the visual field
How does Sri Eye Care’s expertise help you?
We offer the latest treatment for glaucoma by employing state-of-the-art equipment
We also bring together experienced medical professionals for your care